How to Make Goop
Making homemade goop was so fun for our homeschooling family. But you don’t have to be homeschooled to have fun making this! With just a few ingredients, you can transform equal parts of glue and water with Borax and a couple drops of your favorite food coloring and you’ve got something fun to play with for hours.
There are two components to slime. There is a borax and water solution and a glue, water, and food coloring solution. Prepare them separately.
- Mix 1 teaspoon borax in 1 cup of water. Stir until the borax is dissolved.
- In a separate container, mix 1/2 cup (4 oz) white glue with 1/2 cup water. Add food coloring, if desired.
- After you have dissolved the borax and diluted the glue, you are ready to combine the two solutions. Stir one slime solution into the other. Your slime will begin to polymerize immediately.
- The slime will become hard to stir after you mix the borax and glue solutions. Try to mix it up as much as you can, then remove it from the bowl and finish mixing it by hand. It’s okay if there is some colored water remaining in the bowl.
- The slime will start out as a highly flexible polymer. You can stretch it and watch it flow. As you work it more, the slime will become stiffer and more like putty. Then you can shape it and mold it, though it will lose its shape over time. Don’t eat your slime and don’t leave it on surfaces that could be stained by the food coloring.
Have fun with your kids making this fun goop!